Sunday, July 11

Summer Time

I was at a loss as to what to call this post . . . after a while the titles seem to be redundant or bordering on ridiculous. Today's project is a clock that I created by stamping on a CD (hence, the use of "Time" in my title). A few years ago, my local stamp store held a class for stamping on CDs and turning them into clocks. I enjoyed the class, but was not extremely thrilled with the outcome of my clock (I still have it as a reminder of what NOT to do!). We used CDs--the ones that used to come unsolicited in the mail from AOL and other internet service providers--and painted the surface of the CD with acrylic paints. I was not impressed with the finish--it was flat, matte, unattractive and you could see all the brush strokes, despite efforts to get rid of them. But I liked the idea, so I continued to play with CDs at home; however, I used CDs that I bought at the store--and not just any CD, these CDs have a white surface, and are known as "printable" CDs. If you have fancy printing equipment, you can print logos or labels right onto the CD--no paper labels required.
For this CD, the background colors were created using Brilliance pigment inks and my color dusters. I then stamped the image using StazOn Jet Black ink and the Embrace Life stamp set by Stampin' Up! The leaves and flowers were colored using chalks and a blender pen. Yes, you read that right -- chalks and a blender pen. The words "embrace life" were stamped with VersaMark and embossed using gold embossing powder. Once the CD is finished, I spray with a Krylon satin finish sealant.  The clock works were purchased at my local craft store and are very easy to assemble. I do have to trim the length of the hands, but that is easily done with a pair of scissors. I have made clocks in several different themes . . . golf-themed for the golfer in your life (the word "Fore" was stamped where the numerical four would appear on the clock face); baby-themed for a baby shower; floral, autumn, lighthouses, etc. There really is no limit to your creativity with these CD clocks--and if you don't want to turn it into a clock, burn some of your favorite music to the CD, decorate the CD to coordinate with the theme of the music, and give it as a gift. I have used various coloring mediums on these CDs--the above-mentioned chalks and blender pens, pigment inks, I have even used dye inks and heat set the ink with my heat gun. I have embossed on the CDs; embossing can warp the CD a bit, but if you turn it over and heat from the other side, it flattens right out. I have applied glitter, used Stickles, etc.; however, I would strongly suggest that you do not use glitter or Stickles on any CDs that would be going into stereo equipment!! One thing I suggest doing is to cut out CD templates (I use an EK Success Circle Scissor Cutter; I have an older version which has measurements in millimeters, so the size of my circles is 118mm) and practice with stamp placement on the templates. I find it easier to see how the stamp image fits on the CD template before actually stamping onto the CD. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment or contact me through my email. Thanks for stopping by and visiting today! Have a great day!!

3 comments:

Marie said...

OH. MY. WORD. This is absolutely fabulous. I am going to have to attempt this at some point in the future. Incredible. Amazing. I love it - can you tell?

Barb said...

What a neat idea!!!! I NEVER would have thought to do something like this. It is simply beautiful! I love that stamp set. You are amazing!!

Kristie Maynard said...

What a wonderful project. I would have never thought of this. There are so many possibilities. We have so many CD's just laying around that for some reason are no good, don't know what that means, but that's what the kids say. I could definatly see some of these in the works for Christmas gifts.
Thanks for the inspiration. Beautiful, just beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails